Good morning! We have arrived safe and sound in Athens, where we will be staying for a few days as we recover from jet-lag and start to explore Greece. My brother John and I are in a rented flat which has a roof-top terrace which has a nice view of the surrounding city (hence - todays happy-snap). My sleep schedule is all messed up, so I awoke at the crack of dawn, and decided to go up to the roof-top to pray the psalms of Morning Prayer.
As I began to pray the Invitatory (Psalm 95), the bells from a local church began to peal - so I was not alone in my prayer. The reading from Morning Prayer was from St. Paul's letter to the Colossians (1:24-25). "Even now I find joy in the suffering I endure for you. In my own flesh I fill up what is lacking in the sufferings of Christ for the sake of his body, the church. I became a minister of this church through the commission God gave me to preach among you his word in it's fullness."
This last part of the verse really stood out to me - It has been 19 years since I was ordained a Deacon - which has included both times of sufferings and joy in preaching. St. Paul gives focus to suffering - as a sacrifice or intercession for the needs of others. I can't say that I have yet found joy in that suffering - but at least I understand it's purpose.
What really stood out to me in this morning's reading is the Italic part. I also have a deep love for preaching - which I have discovered is a fusion of my abilities coupled with the grace of the Holy Spirit to know what and how to encourage the Church to a deeper relationship with God - confronting what is in need of conversion and affirming the conversions that we have made so far. Starting with my own life but sharing that journey of conversion with those to whom I am sent.
We are located just to the west of the Parthenon and the Areopagus Hill, where St. Paul preached to the Athenians in Acts 17. Later today, we will likely go exploring in that direction, and probably take a nap...

No comments:
Post a Comment